IBS TREATMENT - MELBOURNE
Ph: (03) 98884119 or 0439884144
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) can be treated very effectively with Natural Medicine. If you want to talk about IBS treatment, Melbourne patients should make an appointment today.
IBS treatment Melbourne
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) effects the normal contractions of the digestive tract. These contractions become irregular and uncoordinated and this interferes with the normal movement of food and wastes through the intestines. Mucous and toxins accumulate in the intestines causing bloating, distension and constipation.
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) can affect the entire gastrointestinal tract from the mouth through to the colon.
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) can lead to abdominal pain, abdominal discomfort, diarrhoea, constipation or alternating episodes of diarrhoea and constipation. These symptoms are most commonly reported with IBS; however there are many other symptoms that are associated with IBS depending on the individual and the cause of the IBS.
Symptoms of Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Abdominal pain, aching, heaviness
- Alternating diarrhoea with constipation
- Difficulty bending down
- Excessive wind
- Intolerance to certain foods
- Mucous in the stool
- Painful intercourse
- Painful periods
- Poor appetite
- Rectal discomfort, never feeling the rectum is completely cleared
- Small ribbon or pebble like bowel movements
- Tightness around the waist
- Wanting to eat frequently to “move things along”
- Weight gain or weight loss
The Bristol Stool Chart is a medical tool used for classifying bowel movements into seven distinct categories. The Bristol stool chart can be easily used in the privacy of your own home to evaluate bowel movements and give insight into your health. The chart is also a useful tool for noting sudden changes in your digestive habits and determining if your colon is functioning normally.
To view the Bristol Stool Chart click here
Other symptoms that may be associated with IBS
- Aching joints
- Breathing problems
- Difficulty getting to sleep, waking one hour after dropping off
- Fluid retention
- Flushing after foods
- Panic attack or depression after eating
- Rapid pulse (occasionally slow pulse)
- Sore mouth, stinging tongue, swollen lips
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) can affect all age groups ranging from small babies to the elderly and can be mild or severe depending on the individual. Some individuals have symptoms that fluctuate with an increase in their symptoms for a few weeks and up to a month, and then a decrease for a length of time. Others may have symptoms that are present for most of the time. In some individuals their symptoms can be reduced or disappear after a bowel movement. Symptoms are very variable and can vary from person to person.
There are various causes of IBS these include:
- Blood sugar irregularities
- Decreased digestive enzymes
- Food allergies
- Food intolerances
- Lowered Immunity
- Nutritional deficiencies
- Over breathing
- Overuse of antacids
- Overuse of antibiotics
- Overuse of laxatives
- Poor diet
IBS treatment Melbourne
Stress can have an adverse effect on IBS. There is a two way communication channel between the brain and the digestive system via the nervous system. During stress the nervous system can become more active and have an adverse effect on bowel function and symptoms.
Lifestyle changes can help in some cases of IBS
- Avoid alcohol, coffee and caffeine containing foods. Avoid processed foods and junk foods. Avoid using laxatives. Avoid milk and cheese. Avoid sugar, cakes and biscuits. Avoid fatty foods.
- Cease smoking.
- Beneficial foods to include in the diet – fish, flaxseed oil, herbal teas, low fat yogurt, whole grain cereals, pulses, nuts and seeds.
- Increase intake of vegetables and fruit.
- Increase water intake.
- Regular exercise.
- Stress management.
IBS symptoms that do not improve with these measures will need further investigation and treatment. If you require IBS treatment, Melbourne services are provided by Kathryn. Please phone (03) 98884119 to arrange an initial consultation to begin treatment for your IBS condition.
If you require any IBS treatment in Melbourne, make an appointment today!
Popular Pages: Naturopath Melbourne Allergy Testing